SAND price live chart
Download The Sandbox wallet app
Store & Transfer SAND safely
Monitor your SAND balance in USD
Receive SAND in ETH, MATIC networks
Send The Sandbox by mobile phone number with 0% fee
SAND wallet mobile app for iOS and Android
The Sandbox basics
Media and Entertainment
The Sandbox is a virtual world where players can build, own, and monetize their gaming experiences using non-fungible tokens(NFTs) and $SAND, the platform’s utility token. Players can create digital assets in the form of NFTs, upload them to the marketplace, and integrate into games with The Sandbox Game Maker. The Sandbox virtual world is made up of LAND – digital pieces of real estate – in The Sandbox metaverse that players can buy to build experiences on top of.
The Sandbox token type
$SAND will enable players to create, play, own, govern, trade and earn within The Sandbox virtual world gaming platform. It is the ERC-20 token that will be used all across The Sandbox metaverse.
$SAND is a primary asset of The Sandbox platform and serves a few purposes including:
- Medium of exchange: Players can potentially collect SAND through gameplay, and subsequently spend $SAND to play games, purchase equipment, or customize Avatar characters. Creators can spend SAND to acquire ASSETS and LAND. Artists can spend SAND to upload ASSETS to the Marketplace and buy GEMs for defining item rarity.
- Governance: $SAND allows holders to participate in governance decisions. SAND owners can vote themselves or delegate voting rights to other players of their choice.
- Staking: Users can stake $SAND tokens to earn rewards, as well as GEMs and CATALYSTs for ASSETS creation.
The Sandbox also utilizes the ERC-721 non-fungible token standard for its LAND – digital land – assets (read the technology section to find out more about The Sandbox's other ecosystem tokens).
The Sandbox history and first price
Initial Exchange Offering, Private Sale
The Sandbox project was initially started in 2012 on mobile platforms which to date have gathered more than 40 million global installs on mobile devices. In January 2018, The Sandbox project started developing a new version of the game – a 3D, multiplayer platform using blockchain technology (Ethereum) to offer a virtual world where players can build, own, and monetize their gaming experiences.
The Sandbox aims to bring blockchain into mainstream gaming, attracting both crypto and non-crypto game enthusiasts by offering the advantages of true-ownership, digital scarcity, monetization capabilities, and interoperability across games.
Over the past 3 years, The Sandbox has built the ground to establish the Players & Creators 100% Ownership Economy with NFTs and LANDS. They have raised $3.41M USD from strategic investors such as Hashed, Square Enix, True Global Ventures and their team has already launched several powerful creation tools in beta. The Sandbox has secured over 60 partnerships to develop content on the platform, including brands like Smurfs, Shaun the Sheep, dApp game studios like Dapper Labs (CryptoKitties), investors such as Square Enix (Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider), and iconic game companies like ATARI (Rollercoaster Tycoon, Pong).
The Sandbox recently released its 2020 Year in Review which details the developments of 2020 and what's in store for 2021.
The Sandbox Game Maker allows anyone to build 3D games for free. No coding is required thanks to accessible visual scripting tools to create amazing games in minutes. Creators like you contribute to a vast multiverse, filled with amazing creations and experiences.
The Sandbox created a Foundation that already funded over 15 game projects and granted 100 artists to produce NFTs that were available at the public launch in December 2020.
The Sanbox launched it's alpha release and announced a Creator Fund to reward artists for creating items on its blockchain-based gaming platform.
During 2019, The Sandbox completed a $4.5m seed round from various investors including from Hashed, True Global Ventures, and Square Enix, and accelerated expanded the global team.
In Q4 of 2019, The Sandbox completed its first LAND sale featuring 2.5% of the total map (3,096 LANDS). While the first round was supposed to end on December 20, the LAND sold out in 4 hours. putting reach over $25M.
The Sandbox released an updated version of its VoxEdit.
The Sandbox started In Phase 1 of its SAND Liquidity Mining program with 1,500,000 SAND fixed amount per month distributed in rewards. Phase 2, which launched several weeks later enables yield multipliers based on LAND NFT ownership.
The Sandbox technology explained
The Sandbox platform currently runs exclusively on Ethereum, which is used to record the ownership of tokens and allow owners to transfer, sell, or use them without restrictions. IPFS is used to store all related information of ASSETS, and ensures that this information cannot be changed without the permission from respective owners.The ERC-20 standard is used for the SAND, GEM, and CATALYST tokens, while ERC-1155 and ERC-721 standards are used for the storage and trading of LAND and ASSETS.
The Sandbox gaming environment will be divided into 5 types of tokens:
- SAND – the in-game currency used across The Sandbox ecosystem
- LANDS – worlds in which players play that are created by the community
- ASSETS – voxel models created by players and traded in the marketplace)
- GEMS – burnt to give attributes to ASSETS. GEMS are ERC20 tokens.
- CATALYSTS – burnt to mint ASSETS. Depending on their power, they allow users to associate a certain number of GEMS to an ASSET. CATALYSTS are ERC20 tokens
The Sandbox platform architecture is composed of several components. In terms of blockchain integration, The Sandbox uses a traditional backend running on the cloud (currently using AWS) to support its web frontend. An S3 bucket is used to store the asset of the artist before they get minted. While The Sandbox currently guarantees the privacy of an artist's work (to protect their work from being copied prior to minting), the team envisions that later systems will prevent even The Sandbox from viewing an artist's work pre-minting.
Once a UGC asset is minted, The Sandbox backend releases the ASSET on IPFS so that it becomes publicly tradeable. The Sandbox smart contract records the hash of every ASSET so that the owner of the ASSET will always be able to prove ownership of not only the number recorded on the blockchain (which many projects in the blockchain gaming space stop there) but also the voxel model and various renders.
The overall Sandbox architecture and respective components are as follows:
- Creators can create ASSETS with VoxEdit, and upload those ASSETS through the browser
- Metamask – a web3 provider – acts as an intermediary between the users and Ethereum
- A browser in which the user will interact with the smart contracts and our server
- The smart contracts running on the blockchain
- The Sandbox server currently hosted on AWS
- The backend is being developed with Node.js, which manages the creation of an asset on S3, generating a Hash ID for that ASSET, which is sent back to the frontend so it can begin the transaction using the smart contract.
- Finally, once a transaction is confirmed The Sandbox releases the asset on the IPFS network. ensuring that future owner will always be able to prove that what graphical representation they hold is indeed the original one.
The Sandbox supply limit
The Sandbox consensus
The Sandbox governance
No On-Chain Governance
Currently, the Foundation Funds is managed by the The Sandbox Company in order to kick off the growth of its ecosystem, support high quality content and games to be produced and made available at the launch In the near future, all SAND aggregated to the Foundation will be governed by SAND holders. These holders may allocate reserves as they see fit, all of which must be formalized through on-chain governance and SAND voting.
This direct link between a growing treasury and SAND governance gives token holders a means of directing value across The Sandbox ecosystem, whether directly to those passively staking SAND or through more creative means like curation, committees and usage incentives. Alongside governance, The Sandbox team is building a robust system where those who curate with their SAND will be able to earn and collect fees on top of whatever is routed to the treasury, providing a secondary means of income to active users of the platform.
Both the Game Makers Fund and Creators Fund are managed by the Foundation, used to support the ecosystem by offering grants to incentivize high quality content and game production in The Sandbox.
To date, the Foundation has distributed more than 22,800,000 SAND tokens to support the community through the following activities:
- Funding over 17 game projects, some of which have been unveiled to the public.
- Distributing grants to 100 artists to produce NFTs.
- Supporting local community managers to grow awareness around the globe about The Sandbox, NFTs, and blockchain gaming via the Community Rewards and Ambassadors program.
- Sponsoring prizes to the various contests organized by The Sandbox team (VoxEdit Contests and Game Jams) to stimulate the creativity of users around the world and get them to engage with the tools of our platform.
- Supporting play-to-earn tournaments and cross-gaming with activities such as the F1 Delta Time prize pool tournament that encourage the broader adoption of SAND.
- Supporting marketing activities contributing to the growth of awareness about NFTs, Metaverse, and $SAND adoption, including co-marketing with Exchanges, Influencers etc such as WazirX SAND Giveaway or SAND Exclusive Campaign or Bitmart Halloween Trick or Treat.
You can transfer your The Sandbox holdings and store it safely with Cropty wallet. Cropty secures safety of your holdings through various verification options like using password, authenticator app, Face ID, Touch ID and backup codes. You can be sure no one can get access to you The Sandbox holding except you.
The Cropty wallet provides the most convenient application for storing and transfering The Sandbox. Cropty targets to become one the best crypto wallets for Android and iOS in 2023. Cropty provides convenient application and secure custodial services, built for crypto beginners, as well as for crypto-savvies.
- Sign up to The Sandbox wallet.
- Top up your balance with The Sandbox.
- Store, trade or deposit your The Sandbox.
- Get The Sandbox deposit interest directly to your Cropty wallet.